Discover Our Comprehensive Clinical Care Team
When it comes to planning the birth of your baby, you have many choices. You may want a natural, low-intervention childbirth assisted by a certified nurse-midwife. Or you may prefer delivery with an obstetrician and plan to have an epidural for pain relief. Perhaps you've had a prior cesarean birth and wish to deliver vaginally this time, if it's safe for you and your baby.
The expert team of doctors, certified nurse-midwives, nurses, and volunteer doulas will work with you to design the birth experience you want, guided by the best clinical practices and most current research. Because we are a leading academic medical center, our staff includes teachers and respected leaders in the field of obstetrics. Here you will find:
- Experienced and dedicated obstetricians
- Maternal-fetal medicine specialists to manage high-risk pregnancies and deliveries
- Compassionate certified nurse-midwives who specialize in natural childbirth
- A full delivery team that is on site — not just on call — at all times, prepared to provide continuous care from the moment you arrive
- VCU School of Nursing volunteer doulas to assist you in creating a birth plan, attend your labor and birth, and visit your baby and you at home*
- Pediatric consultation available 24/7
- Anesthesia relief available 24/7
- The lowest rate of cesarean births in the region
- The highest rate of vaginal births after cesarean in the region
- A Level III neonatal intensive care unit to provide the highest level of care, should your baby need it
- Postpartum care that promotes a family-centered experience through: newborn care at mom's bedside, personalized room service to meet your dietary preferences and lactation consultants on site 7 days a week
*To learn more about the VCU School of Nursing volunteer doula program, email Susan L. Lindner or call 804-898-5251
If you are interested in delivering your baby under the expert care of VCU Health's doctors and nurse-midwives, please call 1-800-762-6161 or request an appointment online.
For your convenience, new patient consultations are offered at both VCU Health at Stony Point and Nelson Clinic on the downtown campus.